Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Larnaca, Cyprus
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 pm 

It was through sheer chance and the internet, that we visited this Mediterranian town on the ancient island of Cyprus. I had been a member of an online forum for several years and developed a friendship with a lady from England, who now resided permanently in Cyprus and when she heard in 2009 that we were travelling to Turkey she suggested that we visit her. She could provide us with an apartment at very minimal cost for as long as we cared to stay. Because of the friction between the Turkish north and the Greek oriented South, we had to fly from Istanbul to Athens then back to Larnaca.
Turkey sees a lot of Kiwis because of the ANZAC connections, but very few are found in Cyprus in fact when we arrived at Larnaca airport the two girls behind the counter consulted each other while looking at our passports, and we heard one say “I think it’s in Eastern Europe!”. Thankfully their English born superior was on hand and he informed them after rolling his eyes and looking heavenward, that the South Pacific was where came from. Our friend Pat Brambley picked us up from the airport and took us to our temporary home in the apartment next door to hers. It seemed that she was a kind of custodian and organised for the owners of the apartment block who was accommodated and saw to the bookings and rental rates.
The apartment was very comfortable and well equipped, was on the third floor with a balcony where we ate quite a few evening meals accompanied by a bottle of wine, while viewing the Larnaca skyline. The rest of our time was spent walking the streets and visiting local Greek and Turkish cafes with their ethnic menus. The people we met were friendly and very intrigued when we said we were from New Zealand .
Larnaca is strange in that the beach front areas are very English tourist oriented with sports bars and fish & chip shops but the back streets are fascinating- like stepping back in time. People sometimes sitting in chairs on the street happy to smile and exchange “Kallimira” or Kallispera, depending on the time of day and even offering another chair if we wanted to stop and chat. Once Cyprus was an early Christian centre but also has strong Muslim ties with the third most important site to Muslims at Hala Sultan Tekke mosque near the village of Kiti.
During our trip to Kiti, we detoured to see an old church being restored in Pervolia. As we returned to Pat’s car after a fascinating look at a piece of history there was a loud “bang” and a burning pain in my left wrist. It seems that a young man was attempting to shoot a stray cat which was hiding under a car. The angle was such that the ricochet hit me instead of the cat. The perpetrator quickly disappeared , leaving what appeared to be his grandfather to face the music from two very irate ladies in the form of my wife and our host. There was minimal blood so I was not too perturbed, wiped it with a tissue and carried on. It was nearly 8 years later that it became itchy and as I scratched it a little piece of Cyprus emerged.
Another interesting aspect of the town was what was known as The Camel Park, They also have donkeys, ostriches, ducks and even a wallaby! An assortment of cats of semi wild nature wander about the place being looked after by the owners and staff. The camels are very friendly, and there is a children’s play area and a café.
Shopping at the ‘Big Supermarket’ took a little getting used to. They don’t have any particular layout and nobody seems to follow the same pattern of aisles that we are use to at New World etc. Fruit and veges were fairly cheap but you could buy a chocolate cake for the equivalent of $40! Pork is the cheapest option in meat. The smallest chicken was about $14 equivalent and beef steaks up to $58 a kilo, and bearing in mind this was 8 years ago, it’s a bit frightening.
Had a little nap and went down to the apartment pool about 3pm. Three or four laps and out then walked down to Phinokoudes Avenue, where the thousands of sunbeds and brollies are. Things were quieting down there as ‘Georges Sunbeds’ and ‘Jimmies Sunbeds’ began to put their stuff away although there were still some ‘leather brown’ looking people lying about soaking up the fading sun.
Over all, we were impressed with our time in Cyprus, somewhere we had only visited by chance as it were. The dramatic difference between the beach, with it’s hundreds of sunbeds, the English oriented bars and fish and chip shops and the more traditional back streets of ancient cultures largely unchanged for hundreds of years and with a history stretching back nearly 4000 years.

Post subject: Re: Larnaca, Cyprus
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:40 pm 

What globe-trotting adventures would be complete without being shot? :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:06 pm 

Torre wrote:
What globe-trotting adventures would be complete without being shot? :D

I love Torre's observations!!! Well-told story Michael. beej or Barb lives there-hope she is doing well.

We missed our stop there because of civil unrest, arriving on Nov. 17th 1999-the anniversary of the
Turk/Greek violence. I always wished we had...good thing I didn't show up in my cat pajamas, right?
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:37 pm 

Beej, or Barb, is doing well and is on FB. She seems to do a lot concerning missing dogs.

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:11 am 

:D thanx for that update Paul, I really liked her so much!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:46 am 

Is Beej or Barb in Cyprus? If so do you know where? I have a friend who is very involved with stray dogs there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:45 am 

She lives in Larnaca, Cyprus, Michael.

That is what her FB page states - and she might very-well know your friend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:48 pm 

What is she called on Facebook Paul? I belong to a 'Cyprus memories' group which she might be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:39 pm 

She can be found here, Michael.

https://www.facebook.com/barb.prodromou

:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:16 am 

Thanks Paul. I've sent her a message.