Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Orf we go again.............
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 am 

I think I might have mentioned that we are off on our first cruise round the North Western Mediterranean on Saturday for 16 days. It might be 8) but I'll let you know. :|

We sail from Southampton and call at Lisbon, Gibraltar, Alghero (Sardinia/Italy), Civitavecchia (for Rome), Portofino, Sete, Port Mahon, Barcelona and Cadiz before returning to Southampton.

We've only been to Port Mahon before and so will be seeing new (to us) places.

Gill has been buying so many clothes that we could fill a charity shop! :roll: Forunately all my clothes still fit me and are, mostly, serviceable enough for the trip.

There are likely to be many photos, so watch out!

Fortunately, again, our next door neighbour will be looking after Molly, the cat, and the house while we are away. He is very keen on security having been burgled some time ago. I think he will march up and down outside the house nearly every day while we are away. :wink:

If I can get access to the internet on the boat I'll keep in touch, otherwise be good and have a wonderful time without me. :D

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

Post subject: Re: Orf we go again.............
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 pm 

Hope you have a wonderful time, Paul, and that the Bay of Biscay treats you kindly! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:32 pm 

Bon voyage! Give my love to Lisbon!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 pm 

Have a wonderful, wonderful time!!!
xox

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:59 pm 

Sounds wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 am 

Have a great time, hope you have super weather.

Arfa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 pm 

Hi Folks,

I'm back.

Sorry I didn't contact you from the ship, but as much as I love you all, I wasn't going to pay 50 pence a minute just to make you all jealous.

Five Star Plus luxury. It was a bit wearing after a bit. Four formal nights (tuxedos, etc) four semi-formal nights (jacket and tie) and eight smart casual nights. I gave up wearing a tie many years ago (except for keeping my trousers up :wink: ).

We could have had 'silver service' breakfast, four course lunch and five/six course dinner. We opted for just the dinner and ate at the buffet restaurant for breakfat and lunch - and the snacks in between :roll: . I think I have put-on a stone! Chef-prepared food available from 6.00am until midnight - and room service from midnight to 6.00am - if you wanted it.

It was an experience that I might not repeat. Just a bit too precious! 710 passengers (served by 385 crew), most of whom had cruised many times before :| and seemed only to want to compare which grading they had obtained (due to the number of cruises they had already taken with P & O) and if they were going to be invited to the appropriate select party with the Commodore. The majority were older than us, fatter than us, more arthritic than us, walked either with walking frames, walking sticks (1 or 2 sticks each), sat in wheel chairs or used an electric trolley and endeavoured to fall over in anything but a flat calm.

Oh Yes, I must apologise to you all :oops: :oops: . In another topic I admitted to being 'filthy rich' after inheriting some dosh from my sister's estate. Having seen some of the really filthy rich and then the huge yachts in some of the harbours, I am regrading myself as NOT 'filthy rich' but a just 'slightly dirtier better-off' than I was before I inherited.

However, I've got several hundred photos which I need to sort and title and then I will give you a link to a gallery.

More later after I have checked the rest of my emails and caught up with 30 new post subjects since I left.

It IS lovely to be back! :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 am 

to be honest Paul it sounds like hell on the high seas!!! be interested to see your photos though

‘"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive,to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

"The universe is transformation; our life is what our thoughts make it."
- Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 am 

Sounds terribly jolly, Paul. :roll: Did you not realise it was going to be like this before you went? To me, it sounds just ghastly!

But Like Viv, I'm looking forward to the pix! :) Nice to have you back! :multi:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 am 

where have I been? I didn't even see that you were going away Paul, and you're back already!
Must admit it doesn't sound like my cuppa tea (but then I haven't drunk tea since 1980). But it sounds like an experience that could bring forth lots of interesting stories, and at least you saw some places that you've never been before. :P awaiting pics please!

(edit PS) "and endeavoured to fall over in anything but a flat calm." (sorry to laff as they sound quite disabled... but...) :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 am 

:multi: Can't wait for the piccies :multi:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:37 pm 

We did find another couple like us - he was a Scot and his wife was a Londoner - and we had some jolly laughs and drinks with them and partnered them in several of the quizzes (No, we didn't win but we did come second once).

If you minded your P's and Q's and got out of everybody's way it was quite enjoyable but just a bit wearing being on best behaviour at all times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 pm 

There really is a definite cruising mentality...but the memories are priceless :) Did you have seating assignments for meals, or were you freestyle? Too bad there weren't a merry band of Canucks to play with-people from other countries are so much more fun to play with (from a US8 standpoint), altho we once went on an all over 65 Meditterean cruise. It was hysterical....instead of just taking care of our parents-we got to take care of EVERYONE, & they thot we were young newlyweds. Still laffing about that one today.

Looking forward to more spills and thrills and piccies.
xox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 am 

Paul said :----We did find another couple like us -

Oh no!!!! not another Paul. :lol:
Great to have you both back safely Paul, can't wait to see your photographs.

Arfa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 am 

We had seating assignments, Linny.

We were table No. 26 at the first sitting. The table was a ten seater but, although we were told that the ship was full, only four places were taken and so we shared our dining with an older couple who had cruised many times before. Fortunately, they were able to give us a lot of info about cruising and were a lovely couple.

After the first day we chose to breakfast and lunch in the self-service restaurant and only use the formal restaurant for evenings.

PS. I find that I took 902 photos while on holiday :shock: and am trying to edit them down to something more reasonable - it might take some time 'cos there is the garden to tame and tons of washing, etc. :(