Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cuba
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:52 am 

I wrote a long reply earlier that got zapped into cyberspace. pffff.

Basically said : great to see your pics. I never expected the bloke who chucked himself,,,, sorry fell,,,,, off the roof, & got into car/truck accidents, to look like the guy in the photo. :shock:
Torre it is great that you have a gang who meet up from time to time. It's so relaxing to have friends when you all just know each other, pick up where you left off. Everyone should have a gang..... oh but not in a gangster :2gunfire: kinda way :wink: just an old friends kinda way

brings to mind Simon & Garfunkel
Can you imagine us
Years from today,
Sharing a park bench quietly?
How terribly strange
To be seventy.
Old friends

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:55 am 

Lynn wrote:
How terribly strange
To be seventy.
Old friends

Sounds like a haiku!!

I'm too young to be old and too old to be young.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:23 am 

Linny, I've studied that bare-chested Indian, with my magnifying glass and can't figure him out. Does it look like he could be painted on the wall?

Lynn said:
Quote:
I never expected the bloke who chucked himself,,,, sorry fell,,,,, off the roof...to look like the guy in the photo.
Now you know why he landed with such a thud.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 am 

Nice pictures Torre, you look as though you had a great time.

Arfa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:58 pm 

I liked the batmobile you went to the bat cave in. :lol:

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm 

Paul, we sucked in exhaust fumes the whole way. Got a flat tire on the second car on the return trip. Stopped every few miles and put air in it. By the time we go to the hotel, it was running on the rim. They have to fix everything rather than replace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:02 pm 

Torre-I'm with Paul, altho so sorry there were fumes and rims...but it was such a cheery little gig & you looked so happy. I've studied that Indian guy and have decided he is a figment of our wild imaginations who had come thru the time/dimensional gateway just for your piccie (I mean a statue) :lol: .

LOL about hubs thud-but even short people make thuds whilst falling off roofs (do you sing him the Carole King song? :lol: ).

Lynn-I hope we're all friends at 70-it sounds so nice.....actually, already feel as if we already are all friends at 70. It's a lovely living haiku.
xox
linnyx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:15 pm 

Linny, you were right--the Indian is a statue. I asked somebody who was there. I don't recall seeing it at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 pm 

Torre-isn't it funny how we can miss seeing things until you look at the piccies. When my folx took us to Rome-we were standing DIRECTLY under the obelisk that demarcates Peter's crucifixion. I was so busy worrying about my dad being sick, my mom not being able to walk, pickpockets & then them deciding to take a taxi.....egads-I was having a complete cow.

Later, they were describing how we took a picture of the dang thing, which I swore I'd never seen. There I was, smiling and cheesing for the stupid camera-directly under it.

At least this cuban statue had the good sense to be hidden behind a tree near the entrance of a cave.
love,
linnyx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:15 pm 

Torre - it wasn't you who persuaded Fidel to step down was it?? :P

It will be interesting, if you go again next year, to observe any changes that may have taken place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 pm 

As Jhonnie the sports director told us when we mentioned the election on Jan 27, "Nothing ever changes." Apparently, Raul is as bad as his brother.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:41 am 

I think it will change....slowly. Don't forget that the vast majority of Cubans don't ever remember a Cuba without Fidel! So they're not really sure what kind of change is supposed to happen!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:55 am 

Let the people decide.

Arfa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:11 pm 

I wish the people could decide, but they don't have that freedom. There was an "election" when we were there for seats in the National Assembly. There were 614 seats and 614 candidates. :) The National Assemby chooses the president. There is no oppositon and no freedom of the press.

I hope changes do come peacefully and soon.

I was reading about Castro, what with the story being in the papers, and he was born into a well-off family in Cuba. His Spanish father owned a sugar and cattle plantation. When Fidel came to power and implemented Communist programmes he confiscated private property, including his family's plantation. Outraged, his mother and sister left for Florida.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:07 am 

This was a wild piece of synchronicity from a US perspective-a professor from UNL who has made 23 trips as part of a socio-political "party" began asking too many questions & ended up getting "invited" to Fidel's house two years when he was 79 (heard on drive-time radio). Only heard little tiny gobs ( :D ) of his experience-but it was so weird...
This prof. said that Nebraska was some magic word for friend over there (in his experience) because apparently our govenor Heineman (pls note-I'm so out of it I missed that particular election & couldn't even tell you who are current one is-may be the same guy), has been sending corn over there for the past four years...which is apparently highly appreciated by even the regular people.

Found this astonishing. He further said, that Fidel was "nocturnal" and every nuance of his body language was fulfilled, from the flick of his finger to indicate a cigar should be provided, clipped and lit-to a deafening silence to a direct question (one that was put by some "rude" fellow....I'm like, creeping out that this NE guy thinx it's rude to ask it....), "Did you have anything to do with the assasination of JFK?" To which Fidel replied something like....how would it serve me to remove a man who I almost encouraged to blow up the whole world.

As to the question about the people of Cuba-he said they were relatively happy with their government, but longed for more personal expressions of individual freedom.

Roving lunatix reporter,
linnyx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next