Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mama linnyx can't believe this:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:03 am 

I can't share the image until afterwards-maybe I shouldn't be sharing this even now, but couldn't stop meself. Finally-that darling girl had a shining silvery moment...and gave all the credit away. I'm crying so hard, for the right reasons. Life is filled with surprises.

For Immediate Release

Eau Claire, Wisconsin Resident Earns First Prize in Westminster Mint’s Inaugural International “Green Coin” Design Contest

MINNEAPOLIS, August 18, 2009 – Mallory Prucha Rishoi’s parents were ahead of their time. Today, no one bats an eye when people use phrases such as “greening the Earth” and “leaving a carbon footprint.” But in the 1970s, a much smaller percentage of Americans were talking about subjects such as renewable resources. Robert and Linda Prucha were among them.

“In the 1970s, my mom read texts such as Diet for a Small Planet and both she and my dad were very interested in taking care of the Earth and society,” said Rishoi, 28, an Eau Claire, Wisconsin resident who attended the University of Nebraska on an art scholarship and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree Studio Arts and a Master of Arts in Theatre Arts. “My mom, who was a silversmith/goldsmith, and my dad, the former Director of Campus Horticulture at Father Flanagan’s Boys Town, had a broad world view. They both integrated principles of Earth-conscious living throughout my life.”

With that kind of ecology and art background, it’s no wonder Rishoi became interested in entering an international contest for the design of a .999 pure silver “Green Coin” from the Westminster Mint of Minneapolis. The company announced today that Rishoi’s design earned the grand prize of $2,009. She will also receive the first coin off the press, as well as the hand sculpts created by world renowned sculptor Caesar Ruffo.

One side of Rishoi’s coin features the Sun with rays transitioning into the wind and an electric plug, an ear of corn extending into a gasoline nozzle, wind turbines and hydro-electric dam, and also includes the wording “Renewable Resources,” “Solar-Wind-Bio-Fuel,” and “Hydro-Electric.” The coin’s obverse features a pair of hands holding a globe with arrows. An outline of the atmosphere bounces several arrows back to the earth’s surface, representing global warming and human impact, as the sun highlights the edge of space. This design is encircled by the words “2009,” “Green Coin,” and “The Future Is In Our Hands.”

“Both sides of the coin feature a circular design that serves as a reminder that living consciously and preserving natural resources is a theme that infiltrates all levels of society,” said Rishoi, currently an Instructor and Costume Shop Supervisor in the Music and Theatre Arts department
(more)
Page 2

at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. “The entirety of mankind is encompassed and connected by the precious circle of Earth and must unite in the mission to preserve, protect and renew it for future generations.”

“Furthermore, the hands that I drew are actually those of my mother, as I could think of no better hands than hers to represent the gentle, loving and strong grasp that all of us have on the planet. It is inevitably this grasp that will shape and mold the future. I tried to balance the message of this coin, that the current state of the environment is precarious with that of a hopeful bright future without being too didactic or esoteric.”

Rishoi has lived in Eau Claire with her husband, Greg, for the past 3 years. She frequently returns to Omaha to visit her parents and grandmother, Phyllis Mallory.

She was interested in art at an early age, opting to pursue the subject despite receiving scholarships to other institutions that would have afforded her study in the fields of astrophysics and meteorology. While at the University of Nebraska, she focused on Drawing, Painting, Costume Design and Politics, serving as the Student Body President/ Student Member of the NU Boar of Regents. Currently, Rishoi teaches courses in Theatre Appreciation, Stage Make-Up, and Stage Costuming. In her spare time, she works as a freelance costume designer and artist.

“This Green Coin contest seemed like an appropriate chance to promote a vital cause that is emerging in the mainstream, while honoring my upbringing,” Rishoi said. “I’m extremely grateful to the organizers of this event at the Westminster Mint for choosing my design.”

Westminster Mint, Inc. is one of the country’s largest silver bullion dealers. Rishoi’s coin will be available for purchase to the public beginning (WHEN???).

Post subject: Re: Mama linnyx can't believe this:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 am 

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D

It must be one of these then, Linny?? From the description in the article, I don't recognise it, but the final design may have changed.

I'm too young to be old and too old to be young.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 am 

OH WOW, Linny. You must be bursting. Congrats to Mum and daughter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 am 

Both sides are on that one page-that was hard to find. Thanx for sharing something so good for a change.

What a kid!!! So she didn't win chalkfest. Ain't 'bout winning-but doesn't hurt. Good that she never wasted a single second.
I am so happy for her-she has not had an easy time in life,
but we've all had one whale of good run,
thank you
linnyx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:41 am 

Well done, Mallory and the Prucha family! :D :D :D

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:15 pm 

Very well done indeed. Can't wait to see a picture of the real thing.

Arfa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:04 am 

Here's the link with the pictures.

http://www.coin-rare.com/contest.aspx

A bit of gladnexx happening here.
Thanx for sharing something good with ux.
love you all,
linnyx

ps-here's a link w/a photo she took of herself....you gotta click on the teeny more news link and go to another screen, then scroll down a bit.

http://www.uwec.edu/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:01 am 

Well done that girl!
(Message coming from a small island off the coast of Turkey)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:41 pm 

Mallory says thank you for remembering her on your small island off the coast of Turkey.

She doesn't take much credit-she just wants freedom to create outside of the arena of academia. It's pretty political there, and with the economy the way it has been, the first thing to get hammered is the Arts.

She lives a kinder life than that. Momma linnyx can't take no credit for this child-she was born this way and gift to whomever she comes into contact with.
love,
linnyx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:46 am 

Lovely photo of a lovely girl (at my age most females are girls :wink: ). She obviously takes after her mother. :)

(Message coming from a small town in the middle of England :lol: )

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:50 pm 

Quote:
(Message coming from a small town in the middle of England )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

blushing,
that girl really needed something very good to happen to her.
Thanx and love Paul
Linda