Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Gypsy Warning.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:52 pm 

A true tale which starts in 1912.
Told to me by my mother.

Many years ago I remember my mother telling me about her family.
I never knew any of them but according to what my mother told me she had an older sister who was married and had twin daughters and a brother who was in the Army. Her sister's husband had gone out to America to make a new life for his family and my mothers sister and twin girls were to join him as soon as he got settled.

From what she told me her mother, my grandmother, was a gypsy and the last of a Romany clan who had married my grandfather an Irishman.
For those who have read my book this was the grandmother that I met when she was dead.
I was told that my grandmother could see things happen before they did and seemed to have an uncanny way of KNOWING what was in store.
In other words she was seer------a person who could foretell the future.

When the time neared for her eldest daughter and granddaughters to set sail to join their husband/father my grandmother had a vision of a large ship that was sinking and begged her daughter not to go but to wait and go on another ship later on in the year.
My mother said her sister laughed at her mother and told her that she was seeing things again.

Unfortunately my mothers sister took no heed of her mothers warning and she with her twin girls set out to join the ship that was to take them to America for a new life. They were sailing on the Titanic.

As the reader will be aware the Titanic sank on the 14th of April 1912 with the loss of 1500 lives on her maiden journey and my mothers sister and twin girls were among those lost.

My mother was just 11 years old at that time and as my grandfather and grandmother were separated it made life rather grim for my mother because she was trying to comfort her mother and grieve herself.

My mother idolised Tommy her only brother and he was her hero.
He had a concertina that he loved to play and his favourite tune was “Danny Boy.”
She used to sing to his playing and although Tommy was at least 14 years older than his sister he too loved her very much and used to encourage her to sing.
When WW1 broke out Tommy had to go to the war front in France and he left his concertina at home in the cupboard in his bedroom.

My mother was the only one left at home with her mother and to comfort each other they slept in the same bed.
WW1 had been raging since June 1914 and it was on the 26 of August 1914 while lying in bed with her mother they both heard the concertina playing “Danny Boy”. They got up and went into Tommys bedroom and opened the cupboard door to find the concertina out of its case and my grandmother just said “My Tommy is dead.”

My mother said she found out afterwards that my grandmother had written the date down previously to her son being killed and put it in a musical box.

I can still see my mothers face as she related this story to me and the grief she was still feeling with losing her sister and nieces now it was her brother.
Far fetched you may think but knowing my mother she was not the sort of person to make up stories.

Mother told me that she could remember the horseman dressed in red ( a guardsman ) coming to the house where they lived in London with a scroll tied up with red ribbon to hand to my grandmother.

I too saw that scroll which was signed by the king to say that one of his men had been killed in action and how brave he had been. That was the only time I saw it because when my parents moved to the town where I lived in later years it must have got thrown away in the moving of their belongings.
My grandmother nor my mother never did find out where Tommy was buried OR if he had a grave at all.

Many years later I got very curious about where my Uncle Tommy had died and I phoned the War Graves Commision.
I gave her a few details over the phone of what little I knew about him and where he lived when he was the Army not even hoping that she could help me.

I was absolutely astounded when she came back to me and told me his Army number and although there was no known grave his name was carved on sarcophagus in France. She also told me the exact place to go to.

I was SO impressed with the way the young person had passed over the information.
I said it was marvellous to think that after all these years we had at last found out and I thanked her for how efficient she had been.

Her answer nearly floored me because she said “Actually it was very simple to find him Mrs Walker because he was the ONLY chap killed in WW1 with the name of THOMAS HUDDY.”

I was amazed to hear this and she told me there were some more Huddy’s killed but only the one with the name of THOMAS.

Of all the millions killed in WW1 it seemed incredible but it was perfectly true.

My biggest regret was that if I had done this sooner when my mother was alive she would have been more at peace with herself.

Post subject: Re: The Gypsy Warning.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 am 

Thanks for another very interesting story Maisie. I had to read it in installments as the phone kept ringing tonight!

I thought - if Thomas Huddy was so easy to find, maybe there's something n the internet. Sure enough putting his name into Google (uk sites), the first website it took me to was Thomas Huddy's page on Military Genealogy.com from the 'Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914 to 1919' database.
I can't see all his details as I am not registered there, but this is the page is showed
https://www.military-genealogy.com/name ... sid=128153

The next google link took me to your story that you'd posted elsewhere http://www.fiftyplussurfers.co.uk/id159.html The funny thing about this, is that towards the end of your story, on the right side of the screen my eye caught the word "Marple" which is where I was brought up! It is a link to stories of "The Marple of Christmas Past" http://www.marple-uk.com/xmaspast.htm it mentions a couple of people I knew when I was a kid.

This then led me to the Marple website, reading up about Marple history, and now I have to go over to Arfa's Cromwell thread!! I actually had some work to do tonight, but I am the master of distraction so it isn't going to get done now! and all because I wondered enough about Thomas Huddy to do an internet search!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58 am 

OK-this is REALLY big medicine Maisie (is it ok if I call you that?)

I have to read your book. I admit I have not done so yet, but all things are divinely timed.

I'm so appreciative of you sharing these stories on HH. It is helping me get weller. I really don't mean to make it about me...because it's not. Grief is a beast, that often gets sorted by the seer-they grieve before, during & after. It is a card that gets shuffled into the lot of "while life and Danny Boy" plays on. It's a picture upturned, a concertina orchestra of communication & love still threading the eye of a needle so small....that may go unnoticed.

There really is no end to love is there?

Now, the real reason I'm all fired up (in US speak-it's a good thing...paying attention), aside from the Titanic issue which I can't properly respond to-as I had a past life experience with my father & me, who went down. We found our names on the roster-which now I can't remember.

But here is a very strange, strange, strange connection. It's one that I've been working on really hard-for it is a hard thing. My son, married a grand-daughter of the Marples clan. Their blood is mixed in our grandson, Riley Valentine-beloved withheld one.

I got born into a clan of seers. It's not an easy thing.

And here is another odd thing-as you were posting this-we have been trying to figure out where Charles Mallory's WW1 experience lay. With all the family stories that have been told...that fact has been omitted, perhaps from some shame he bore by not serving overseas where so many were butchered-he survived and never spoke about it.

Very many emotions of gratitude and keening for your family's loss. I understand it in this life. Today-someone asked after I told them what happened (my linear mind saying-don't do it....it could hurt the business-deflect, but I couldn't lie.). It turned out that he was an ER doc & he laffed his head off....which didn't hurt my feelings at all. Then he sobered up and said,
it is the worst thing in the world to lose your child.

the answer was-no it is not. he stopped in his tracks, and just looked with the question mark eyes? having a child lost in the crack addiction and replicating more lost children without a moral compass is worse than the death of your child....living death is worse than death. i know where my son lays. it's in my grave.
does that help...in a way-yes. for at least i know that is a place that i won't be visiting anytime soon, for now.

Those Marples have hurt our family to the soul. We are not perfect people-but i have stories that would make your hair curl in hypocritical ways. They know their English roots very well.
I'll stop now.
pressing the button,
love with kind regards,
linnyx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:30 am 

OMG Linny I'm kinda sorry I brought up the Marple word now I know it has bad connections for you,,,,, but how strange that even though my Marple's a small town /large village in Cheshire, and yours is a family name, it is the same name that is significant to us both. :shock: I never heard the word anywhere else apart from Agatha Christie's "Miss Marple" :o

Maisie, I have read your story all over again as I was interrupted by phone calls the first time & then distracted by the other links. It really is such an amazing story. I can almost hear that concertina. I think we all have things that we wish we'd done sooner, especially where family history is concerned. It is very sad that your mother & grandmother didn't find out about Tommy's name on the sarcophagus when they were alive. But if Arfa & Freda's beliefs about afterlife are true, then it doesn't matter ....they know now anyway, in fact they probably knew before you did, when they all got back together for their family reunion with their sister & the twins! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:42 am 

No worries Lynn,
not ever.
just a grease monkey trying to get by.
guilty as charged,
TMI-but from a historical purview,
it's not all that sad-it's just interesting how a broad band can be displaced and cause mayhem, that will eventually be sorted out divinely,
frankly,
it was a miracle that I stopped.
thats a good thing-see how everything can be good and evil depending on your experience? Maybe the key, is to give up the experience.
we all live with emotionally charged experiences...there is no charge-
love
xox
os-i didna have to read it-nor respond...what a dorx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 pm 

Maywalk,
How is your hubs doing and you doing?
You've been on my heart,
love,
linnyx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:34 pm 

Hi Linny,
Thankyou for asking about my hubby. He is getting a lot better now that the bruising has started to come out and the nurse comes on Saturday to take his clips out. I am hoping that once they are out he can get moving better. :)
I will have to sort out another story for you. :D
I have a couple of true stories with photos but I dont know if photos are allowed on the forum.

God Bless
Maisie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 am 

Thank you for the update Maisie,
it's a big deal op-not for sissies, nor for the careguardians either. Would LOVE some more stories (and piccies if allowed)-they are simply wonderful. I can read & see every word in my head. I love that so much.
and much to you,
linnyx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:23 am 

Thankyou Linny.
I will have to ask Thais if pictures are allowed.
God Bless.
Maisie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:07 pm 

Yes of course they are. Usually hosted by Image Shack or Photobucket. :)

I'm too young to be old and too old to be young.