Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nellie the Elephant.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:34 pm 

Here is another item that my family will be keeping.

The elephant below was sent from India in 1942 by my eldest brother who was in the RAF. Unfortunately Nellie the Elephant got caught in a bombing raid that damaged quite a bit of Mount Pleasant Post Office in London.
When she finally reached us her trunk was off plus her tusks were missing.
My father glued the trunk and God knows what he glued it with because its still stuck to this day. No superglue then but whatever it was it certainly made a good job of Nellies trunk. She stood for many years balancing the man on top of her trunk in my parents the window but still minus her tusks.
When it was handed down to me I went to a jewellers and bought two necklaces that had a nacre ( mother-of-pearl ) tusk hanging on them.
Hubby put the tusks in the holes where the original ones should have gone and Hey Presto here is Nellie in all her glory.
She has been a great conversation piece no matter who calls and children are fascinated watching the man spin on the top.
Nellie started me off collecting carved animals from worldwide.
Everytime family or friends went abroad they came back with a carved animal for me.
I love them all even the kiwi from NZ. :D

Post subject: Re: Nellie the Elephant.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:55 pm 

Beautiful piece...and it reminds me how often we are sent hurtling thru the unlimited concourse of the Universe, whose center is left unmapped (perhaps so we can be there-not in an egotistical way, but rather noticing every bit of everything that surrounds us....where glue that hadn't been invented yet & perfectly nacred tusks would show up to be lovingly set to complete what "seems" to be broken).

Just seeing the piccies and hearing the stories are so lovely-Rex was there in '45. They missed each other probably-is your brother still on planet?
love,
linnyx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:26 am 

No Linny.
My brother died some years ago.
He came back a changed man after fighting in Burma during WW2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:24 pm 

Maisie-what year was your brother born? Did he speak of what happened in Burma, or was he quiet like so many of the survivors?
So sorry to ask questions-and always respect no answers as an answer.
Happy Easter,
linnyx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:49 pm 

Sorry to be so long in replying Linny but my son had been trying to get rid of a flipping bug that I had picked up on the computer. :evil: :evil:
Now to answer your question.
My brother was born in 1921 he was fighting the Japs out in Burma and he never spoke about what he went through. I managed to piece one or two bits together when he was having violent nightmares from what he used to shout out when dreaming.
He was a changed personality when he was demobbed from the lovely chap who was called up to do service.
What he went through made him VERY aggressive.

Love Maisie xxx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:41 pm 

Maisie-
I think there may be a distinct possibility that your brother and my dad were in Burma together. It's an odd coincident that one of his US war buddies just contacted me out of the blue, and provided a copy of his release paperwork and a photo of some of them in Egypt (my dad was not among them). At the same time-I was contacted by some old neighbors who are in AF intelligence & they said it was extremely unusual for restricted documents signed by US generals to be released, even at this late hour.

I asked dad to write down the places he served and can't remember them now. He swore that he never saw battle and was there in 1943-1945. He was the youngest first sargent in the Infantry who helped load and signal the supplies for Merril's Marauders for RAF & AF to fly over the hump of the Himalyans. I often wondered how he could recount the courage of Aussies, Brits (as he called them), and even the Turks without seeing battle. Maybe he didn't-but witnessed the aftermath. By coincidence, I have a friend whose father served with Merril's Marauders in the same area-who died at an early age from battle fatigue. We both were born relatively late in life (their 30's & 40's) to our parents.

There is a reason for everything-maybe your brother and my dad never met. Maybe, they did. Phyllix reports that Rex came back a different man-but chalked it up to frustration that he was given an appointment to OTC & Westpoint, that his marriage prevented. We could never pin him or his father, or my mother's father to their WWI and II activities. They took great pains to make it all a wonderful adventure for us. The US was allowed to be incredibly naive.

It is with sincere hope that all of these beautiful young men's lives, whether they died on the battlefield, or their sister's & mother's who suffered through so many things-will not be wasted on today or future events. I love Nellie, the elephant.
Thank you so much
love,
linnyx
and happy easter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:41 am 

http://video.msn.com:80/?mkt=en-us&vid= ... &GT1=28114

this link may or may not work. I couldn't bring myself to watch it for it is a video of elephant remembering.

So sorry if it doesn't work-
glory if it does,
love

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:11 am 

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That video is mind boggling! The sceptic in me is trying to say that it's rigged....but I don't think it is! :!: Not even a chimp can paint something that's recognisable.

I'm too young to be old and too old to be young.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:03 pm 

Just saw the elephant painting itself.
:shock: :shock:
I thot it would make me cry & it did. What a baby.

for the beauty,
love,
linnyx or Linda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:29 pm 

that video's amazing :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:33 am 

How's yer beloved's knee(s) doing Maisie???
and you???

love,
linnyx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:35 am 

Hi Linny,
Sorry I have not called in but I have been feeling under the weather these past few days apart from being worn out with looking after hubby. However I did have a nice surprise yesterday because my son phoned to tell me that two of my writings have been put on the Crypt website.
I feel quite honoured to think that they are interested enough in an old biddy’s writings to want to do graphics for them and to want them on the site. :shock:
My son belongs to the site because he designs test gear and other stuff for youngsters to build. I am not technically minded so I cant really explain what it is he does. This might explain what he does better.
http://www.thecryptmag.com/Online/47/Ev ... roject.htm

However he asked me ages ago for permission to put any of my stories or poems on to the site and I said that he could as long as my name goes on the bottom. Here are my two for this months magazine.
I hope you enjoy them
God Bless.
Maisie
http://www.thecryptmag.com/Online/47/Blue.html

http://www.thecryptmag.com/Online/47/BadHairDay.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:45 am 

Maisy-you are not an old biddy (unless it means a woman who is wise, kind, beloved, unconfused with wild adventures that still has the capacity & courage to share your stories to move away the tombstones that have collected like motes in the eyes of a currently confused society...to lead us to a better reckoning of our life-purposes).

I checked out the link you provided-and it seems your son has paved a path that is beyond my ken...although his shapes & connections seem extremely pythagoreum.

Call me a biddy anyday...if it means I share a single character attribute of yours.
love,
linnyx
kiss yourself and hubs knees for us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:27 am 

Aaaawww Linny you have some lovely verbal sayings and may I welcome you to the old biddy's club. :D :D

I will be putting up another story, which after a phone call last night brought the memory back of these two incidents.
God Bless.
Maisie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:01 pm 

Wearing the badge with humility if it be coming from you-can't wait for the story.
big hugs,
linnyx