Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tourism
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:51 am 

My first job after leaving school was with the New Zealand Government Tourist Bureau, based in Queen Street, Auckland.
Whenever a cruise ship came into Auckland it meant very early wake ups to travel out on the pilot boat before the cruise ship had passed Rangitoto Island. There were tours to arrange, tourists to be smiled at and a lot of hectic organisation. The ship today was the Orsova, packed with Americans eager to get ashore and look around during their one day in port. By the time the ship was alongside about 30 coaches were full , at least on paper, and getting their cargoes of people ashore was running smoothly. Most were off to Rotorua to see the thermal pools, the geysers and the Maori guides who would show them through Whakarewarewa and the Maori village.
Half way through the day would be lunch pre-arranged , usually at a large facility that could handle up to 300 at a time. One such was the Orange Hall at Matamata and our section of 10 buses arrived at the car park just as the entire staff walked out of a fight with management over wages. Everything was ready to go and after a brief managerial conference all the Tourist Bureau staff who were couriers on the buses became waitresses or kitchen staff. A frantic hour saw all the visitors fed and as the coffee was being consumed, the hungry workers sought to grab something to eat for themselves. The desserts were a choice between fruit salad and ice cream or poached pears with chocolate sauce. It was only then that it was discovered that we had been serving pears with gravy, and not a single complaint! They must have thought it was a local dish!

Post subject: Re: Tourism
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 pm 

Quote:
...off to Rotorua to see the thermal pools,

I thought that said "thermal poofs". A similar tourist attraction to NY's Staten Island ferry?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:14 pm 

The gravy is hilarious!!!! Just love these stories Michael. Hope you had a good Father's Day....is it the same day elsewhere? Saw there was a biggish quake down yonder. Xox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:52 pm 

Yes Linny, it was a 7.1 off the east cape. No damage but there was a tsunami warning which turned out to be 30cm high!! Better safe than sorry though.
Torre, way back in time "poofs" were gentlemen of a feminine persuasion. I don't know if they were 'thermal' though. I've had some good friends who were that way inclined. Always seemed to mix the best of both sexes attitudes, (although I should point out that I am not that way inclined preferring curves and a layer of subcutaneous fat. :D )