Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gonging World record
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 pm 

Just thought I would give this it's own topic.

(That's a Facebook link and some of you might not be able to see it. I've tried to copy it another way but it doesn't want to play ball :( )

There will be an official World Record Attempt on Sunday 26th August 2018 at Kensington Olympia, London when about 200 gongs and gongers will play for the Guinness Official World Record. Participants are coming from all over the World.

There will be two guided meditations and gong baths available to the public (bring yoga mats, blankets, pillows and ear plugs).
One on Saturday, 25th August from 18.45 to 21.00
One on Sunday, 26th August from 17.15 to 1930.

Tickets can be purchased (because we've the hall to pay for and all the gongers are paying too) from

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/grand-go ... 8375716069

It sounds (pun intended ;) ) as though is it going to be a fun weekend. :D

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

Post subject: Re: Gonging World record
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 pm 

Are you taking part, or go[i]ng, Paul? :D

Quote:
What should I wear? Do I need a swimsuit?
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 am 

I am taking part.

There is a gong workshop/rehearsal on the Saturday and the final preparations and Record attempt is on the Sunday.

I am staying in a nearby hotel on the Friday and Saturday nights going home on the Sunday. Bringing two of my gongs. Gill is coming with me but is more likely to visit the Chelsea Physic Garden and the SHOPS!!! :shock:

No swimsuits needed, just comfortable clothing. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 am 

So you are considered one of the "world's best gong players"? :shock: I thought you'd only had yours about 6 months, if I remember correctly.
It seems the rehearsal & the record attempt cost the same. £30 - a bit steep! I hope enough people turn up to pay for the room!
I won't say yet if I'll go to it, I'll see closer to the time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am 

I definitely am NOT one of the worlds best gong players! BUT, I am no better, or worse than anyone else.

In my opinion, there is a lot of rubbish talked about gong playing. It is just gonging for the pleasure and enjoyment of oneself and others.

Unfortunately those who started to play gongs before everyone else gave themselves fancy names like 'gong-master' and 'best' and did so as their ego took over as they tried to justify their existence commercially and encourage others to go to them for 'training' and by so doing, laying down their made-up rules of what to do and when, what clothes to wear, how to play the gongs and establishing a mystique that is entirely unnecessary. Every organisation does this because it gives them a sense of importance. That is why doctors give Greek names to the body parts and treatments thereto, and churches develop their own rituals and even use antiquated languages to confuse the great unwashed. :roll:

A gong is just a sheet of crafted metal that can be played in two ways - it can be hit with a mallet or stroked with a flumey and the sounds and vibrations produced are relaxing and, in some cases, beneficial to thenhealth of those who hear them. That's all. Each player develops their own way of playing and no one way is any better than any other but these 'masters' lay down routines that, in the case of the world record, may have to be followed so that some regularity may be obtained to satisfy the Guinness Record people. I think a jolly good gong-bong would suffice - it might be a bit cacophonous just everyone bonging away so a bit of forethought to play the tuned gongs in an orderly fashion might just be slightly better.

The costings are unfortunate but the hall has to be paid for and the hall's organisers are not used to having non-commercial enterprises use them. I understand that it took a long time for it to sink in that gonging, in this instance, was not a commercial event. It is costing everyone who is attending to pay for entry, pay for car parking (if needed) and to find and pay for their own accommodation. No doubt, the 'gong masters' who have arranged this event will be getting some commercial reward for so doing but there is little that any non-organiser can do about it.

The only reason I am going is that it is my only way of participating in a world record attempt at my age. Also I might get to play some of the larger gongs which cost many thousands of pounds (I am hoping that if an 80 inch diameter gong - the largest made and costing just under £30,000.00 plus it's stand, mallet, own travelling lorry and team will be there, I might get to have a go).

It is a pity that, unlike 'normal' events like this, there are no discounted tickets available for participants to hand out otherwise I would be sending you one.

Rant over.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 am 

That was an excellent reply, Paul!! (Not a rant!) :mrgreen:

Quote:
Unfortunately those who started to play gongs before everyone else gave themselves fancy names like 'gong-master' and 'best' and did so as their ego took over as they tried to justify their existence commercially and encourage others to go to them for 'training' and by so doing, laying down their made-up rules of what to do and when, what clothes to wear, how to play the gongs and establishing a mystique that is entirely unnecessary. Every organisation does this because it gives them a sense of importance.

That is so true!!! Let's not mention the British Society of Dowsers! :roll: But it happened everywhere, didn't it, from Reiki to Indian Head Massage?

Hope you get to play that 30 grand gong!! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 pm 

helenoftheways wrote:
Hope you get to play that 30 grand gong!! 8)

So do I.

and thanks for your kind remarks about my non-rant and I won't mention the BSD, Reiki or any other similar organisations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 pm 

It is this weekend and there will be 200 people gonging together. They have come from all over the World and we practice all day tomorrow and Sunday morning so that we all play the same routine at the same time to satisfy the witnesses.
It promises to be great. I have ear defenders and earplugs so my ears shouldn’t suffer.
They say there will be a YouTube film and I’ll Let you know if there is one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:47 pm 

I should be able to hear it from here Paul! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:47 pm 

Exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm 

That noise I thought was an earthquake earlier must have been coming from there! :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm 

How did it all go, Paul? Sorry I didn't get there, but the hassle to get from where I live to the venue was great; I expect you took less time to get there from Solihull!

:multi:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm 

That's it, all done - and a Guinness World Record for 193 gongers playing set routines for just about 6 minutes.

Two days of a lot of chaos, due mostly to a very laid-back management. We did have to learn the routines and practice them until we really knew them and eventually, some two-and-a-half hours later than planned, do the job. It made us late for the final gong-bath but those waiting on the stairs to come in did not seem to worry and said they enjoyed listening to us complete the record.

There were well over 200 gongs in the hall, including a monster 60 inch diameter one. Several of us took more than one gong because some people were coming from all over the world to play but couldn't bring their gongs with them and so we were all asked to take spare gongs just in case.

Strangely it wasn't too noisy. There was only one instance when I had to wear ear-defenders because some of the gongers got a bit carried away.

It was an experience, and one I probably won't repeat.

I don't like driving in London. I got lost driving home because it was night time and I missed a road sign but, as it turned out, we avoided a lot of traffic by doing our unintentional diversion. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:10 pm 

:BIG:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:33 pm 

You had to gong for only 6 minutes to set a record???